Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hey! I got some sleep!


Day 8 and I am finally getting some sleep. Unfortunately, I am having strong cravings, but so far so good.

Yesterday, I had lunch with two old friends from my party down days. We get together once or twice a year, two if we're lucky. We live in the same state but far apart and all have busy lives. They are settled down older women now, the kind of friends you don't see often but when you do, it's solid.
I was the life of the party back then (30 something years ago and they remember it better than I.) We chuckled over some of my antics involving my many boyfriends and adventures we all took together. When the subject of alcohol came up, I told them I had to quit because I just looked forward to it too much everyday, that 5 o'clock drink. They were surprise but not aghast. We moved on to other topics and had a pleasant visit.
Earlier that day, driving the hour to my friend's house, I had a sort of epiphany. I realized that since I have been drinking so heavily, I had started to think in terms of the rest of my life being downhill. I mean what do you really have to look forward to at 55? That's how alcohol poisons your mind. I was listening to NPR and Elizabeth McGovern was being interviewed. She is making a comeback 20 years later after moving to London and raising a family. I was struck at how happy she sounded, and intelligent.
I had a glimpse of reinventing myself. How 55 wasn't old, I have young children, a young husband, and so much opportunity to do so many things. Money isn't an issue, I have plenty of free time and wonderful support from my family. What have I been thinking!?
Being sober this week has cleared the clouds a bit. And doing something, not isolating, and connecting with dear friends, even the drive there, was awesome. I have to remember that this week while I stay sober and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment