Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Momo


I am always the old mother in the group. I have twenty years on many of my children's friends' moms. Of course it's always been this way; I was 43 when the twins were born. If I had a nickel for every time I was referred to as the grandma, well, don't get me started. Don't get me wrong; I have absolutely no regrets. And I have a youngish husband who keeps me young. And so do the kids. We just roll differently. And kinda backwards. For example, I am retired from two careers and now a stay at home mom. And we travel everywhere with the kids on awesome vacations that they may not even remember since they were so young. We are doing it now because by the time the kids leave home, we will be blue hairs and not as energetic as typical empty nesters.
We are fortunate that we have these luxuries. Sometimes I worry about the kids being spoiled, but they seem well grounded so far. So far I can keep up pretty well, skiing, rafting, jumping off waterfalls...I need to do it now because I may not be able to later.
Sometimes I feel like I have lived two lifetimes already. The before kids, urbanite career woman, and now the retired mom of twins whose most important job seems to be getting the kids from point A to B in a timely matter with the necessary equipment. Not an unimportant job, just a different job. I still wake up every day with the feeling that I am supposed to be somewhere. But really I just need to get the kids off to school and take care of the house. It's still a hard adjustment after rising by 5 or 6 each day and heading off to work. I wonder if I'll ever really get used to it. Maybe not, but I'll always be glad it turned out this way.

2 comments: