Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Me and Alcohol





My new sobriety date is January 1, 2012.

I have made it to Day 4 and I'm feeling better, if only I could get some sleep. One of the things I was so looking forward to about not drinking was sleeping through the night. When I drank. I always woke up about 3.5 hours in and never could really go back to sleep. Needless to say, I was exhausted. Last spring, when I stopped drinking, I remember blissfully the sound sleep I enjoyed.
So far this time, not so much.

On New Year's night, we were in a hotel and the neighbors were up partying loudly so it was hard to sleep. Got a little sleep late and then was up early to ski.
The next day I was home but fended off my alcohol cravings with caffiene. Which worked awesomely except for the buzz I took to bed that stayed with me until, say, 3am! Then up early to get the kids off to school.
Last night, for some unfathomable reason, my husband got blasted. This is pretty unusual for him although I have seen more of it lately. Which is a motivator for me not to drink as I am sure my drinking was rubbing off on him. Used to be he could take it or leave it and often went for months at a time without a drink. At any rate, I heard him pouring glass after glass in the other room where he was watching football. I wondered about it but figured he had a bad day. Right before the kids were going to bed he got all wound up and was rough housing with them and even getting playfully physical with me. I could tell he had waaay too much and tried to calm him down before he got out of hand. Eventually we got the kids down and I went to bed. When he cam to bed, he got frisky (hopefully not TMI) and I told him to stop it and move over. He wouldn't and we argued back and forth for a while, before I got up and went to sleep in another room.
I wasn't mad really, just annoyed and a little scared as he usually never acts that way.
6 am, my girl wakes me for school. So, not so much sleep last night, either.
The good news is, I have time to nap during the day if I choose. The bad news is I am getting less done than I was before when drinking.

The best good news is I am not drinking and not feeling as much of the obsession to. If only I could get some sleep;)

No comments:

Post a Comment